27.9.09

Pass Part 3

I made a fresh discovery here at Camp Atterbury. I am a free woman. Yeah, I said it. Though I have no car to drive to Indy, I have freedom of movement about the post. And for the last day of my pass, I can sleep in as long as I care to without guilt. So I did just that. I slept in until 9 and read for three hours until my book ran out. I was hungry, but I was not about to eat chow hall food. No way, no how. I showered, geared up, and made the trek down to the all ranks club to order myself a burger and fries. And here I am, with a full belly and a happy, defiant demeanor. The club is an interesting place, a place I really didn't discover until a week ago. There is a bar, of course; a short order cafe; and a coffee shop that I have yet to utilize. I'm looking at the menu right now, and I see all the chai tea, lattes and mochas I never ordered. The day is still young, I suppose. I don't think I'm going to leave this place without a coffee or tea beverage in my hand. It's been too long.

Pass ends tonight. My bags are almost completely packed and ready for the flight to Germany. As much as I am tired to packing and unpacking, I know that every time I am getting closer to Kosovo. I see Germany as temporary housing. I will not be there long enough for my initial patience to wear off. I really lost my patience with Atterbury after about three weeks. I think I can deal with Hohenfels and its substandard living conditions for just as long, maybe a little longer. I can play the game. The Army has taught me how to endure, and it has slowly raised my tolerance level. I won't allow myself to be treated as property of the government yet, but I'm getting there. Give me a few more years in the service, and I will gladly be the Army's pin cushion despite my fear of needles. I will hardly blink twice about 16-18 hour days on a specialist's paycheck. You wait. It'll happen. I'm not there yet, but I'm going down that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment