Contrary to what you might believe, the title of my blog has nothing to do with alcohol or tea or any drink you can brew. The titled is actually based on the simplified version of Concordia College's mission statement: Becoming Responsibly Engaged in the World. I spent my first year in college writing several papers about this phrase. Every professor wanted me to find a definition for BREW. Though I hated how mundane the assignments were, they left an impression on me. The only problem was that I couldn't find a way to influence the world I lived in. I felt like I kept taking from everyone, rather than giving to those who need it. I was given an education, was ministered to in church services, was loved disproportionately. It killed me.
Thousands of miles away from my home, I have made BREW my mission statement. We are not missionaries here in Kosovo. The U.N. stopped some nasty things that were going on here back in the '90s. NATO pushed out a lot of humanitarian aid from then until just recently. But now, things are different. Help doesn't come so much in donations as it does with a friendly wave and a good conversation over a macchiato. To be honest, I expected BREW to be more like the former. I guess influence comes in many different forms.
To give you an idea of what this kind of interaction is like, let me tell you a story. The man you see in this photo is the owner of a restaurant near the Church of the Black Madonna. He knows little English, but he speaks German pretty well. KFOR 11's JVB were regular customers when they brought generals in the area. They would often come in the day prior to tell him that they were going to be bringing someone the next day. He would then prepare an extravagant meal for them. Well, Josefi loves U.S. troops. When I first met him, he gave us all macchiatos on the house, simply out of kindness. KFOR 11 shared their goodbyes, and I could tell they were truly heartfelt. He shaked all of our hands and gave us a huge hug. Then he pointed down the road and told us that next time, he wants to show us his house. I can tell we are in the beginning of a friendship. Now I have no clue what we did to deserve such kind treatment. In some ways I feel that people like Josefi are simply gracious. There is nothing "humanitarian" about friendship, but it leaves a huge impact on the world.
I met a man in Prizren today who was overjoyed to talk to U.S. Soldiers. He started the conversation by talking about Michael Jackson and how he is #1 in the music world. Then he proceeded to mention Tom Cruise and other entertainers. He was conscious of our time and asked if it was alright that we were talking to him. It seemed like he just wanted to chat with an American.
Okay, so I hope you understand that becoming responsibly engage in the world doesn't always mean being a good Samaritan. My definition changes constantly, but as of right now, I can see that it is rarely a one-sided affair. I am struck by the kindness of strangers. People like Josefi and my friend from Prizren demonstrate BREW in their undue hospitality. Here's my new acronym for BREW: Building Relationships EveryWhere.
Thousands of miles away from my home, I have made BREW my mission statement. We are not missionaries here in Kosovo. The U.N. stopped some nasty things that were going on here back in the '90s. NATO pushed out a lot of humanitarian aid from then until just recently. But now, things are different. Help doesn't come so much in donations as it does with a friendly wave and a good conversation over a macchiato. To be honest, I expected BREW to be more like the former. I guess influence comes in many different forms.
To give you an idea of what this kind of interaction is like, let me tell you a story. The man you see in this photo is the owner of a restaurant near the Church of the Black Madonna. He knows little English, but he speaks German pretty well. KFOR 11's JVB were regular customers when they brought generals in the area. They would often come in the day prior to tell him that they were going to be bringing someone the next day. He would then prepare an extravagant meal for them. Well, Josefi loves U.S. troops. When I first met him, he gave us all macchiatos on the house, simply out of kindness. KFOR 11 shared their goodbyes, and I could tell they were truly heartfelt. He shaked all of our hands and gave us a huge hug. Then he pointed down the road and told us that next time, he wants to show us his house. I can tell we are in the beginning of a friendship. Now I have no clue what we did to deserve such kind treatment. In some ways I feel that people like Josefi are simply gracious. There is nothing "humanitarian" about friendship, but it leaves a huge impact on the world.
I met a man in Prizren today who was overjoyed to talk to U.S. Soldiers. He started the conversation by talking about Michael Jackson and how he is #1 in the music world. Then he proceeded to mention Tom Cruise and other entertainers. He was conscious of our time and asked if it was alright that we were talking to him. It seemed like he just wanted to chat with an American.
Okay, so I hope you understand that becoming responsibly engage in the world doesn't always mean being a good Samaritan. My definition changes constantly, but as of right now, I can see that it is rarely a one-sided affair. I am struck by the kindness of strangers. People like Josefi and my friend from Prizren demonstrate BREW in their undue hospitality. Here's my new acronym for BREW: Building Relationships EveryWhere.
The post is intriguing to me. I think that you have hit it right in your interpretation of what "making a difference" is. It's about fostering relationships and creating an environment of compassion and caring versus hatred. You are doing that, without a doubt. It is awesome to hear that you want to do more as well. Little do you know, but you are making a lasting legacy with every person that you meet. Don't you think that those children you played soccer with will remember that encounter fondly as they grow up? You may never actually realize all the people you have impacted, but you have impacted many (myself included). Keep up the great work, love hearing from you!!!
ReplyDeleteUncle Dalen